Saturday, June 5, 2010

doing a "doubles" workout

"Doubles" refers to completing two workouts in one day. This is ideally done by doing a workout in the morning and then a workout at night. It doesn't necessarily have to be done for every day you workout or done right after the other, but you can do it for several other reasons:

1] you can only devote about 30-45 minutes at a time to exercising during morn/night
2] you want to increase your results by working out more
3] exercising for 90 minutes straight is a little too tiring, so it's easier to split the time up.
4] increase the intensity of your exercise program by increasing its duration

I personally like to do a doubles workout because ChaLean extreme has 3 days of circuit training and only 2 days of cardio. So in order to increase my fat loss and do more cardio, I will do an additional cardio workout OUTSIDE of Chalean Extreme's schedule. Here's a peek at my exercise schedule

monday: Chalean Extreme Burn Ciruit 1, Turbo Jam Fat Blaster
tuesday: Chalean Extreme REST DAY, Turbo Jam Total Body Blast
wednesday: Chalean Extreme Burn Circuit 2, treadmill 30 mins
thursday: Chalean Extreme Burn Intervals & Ab Burner
friday: Chalean Extreme Burn Circuit 3, Turbo Jam Kickin' Core
saturday: Chalean Extreme REST DAY, 1-hr turbokickboxing class at 24 hr fitness
sunday: Chalean Extreme Burn It Off & Recharge (yoga)

Another good reason to do a doubles workout sometimes is because it can help you create a calorie deficit much easier, in case you are not a person who is very calorie conscious. I do not count calories in a diary or in a log of some sort, so I like to do an extra workout to burn several hundred EXTRA calories to make up for any overages in calorie consumption. Remember that if you want to have fat loss, your calories in must not exceed calories out. So burn baby burn those calories up!

Every once in a while I'll do a TRIPLES workout! you're probably saying, "wth, triples! this lady is CAARAZZZZY!" well really, I'm not, at least I think I'm not. lol.
When I do a triples workout I may be doing Chalean Extreme Burn Circuit 1, cardio AND a short 10 minute ab routine such as Chalean Extreme Ab Burner.
To me, any additional exercises you do outside of the scheduled program is just extra bonus points. =D But really, Burn Circuit 1 is about 35 minutes, I may do about 25 minutes of cardio and then 10 minutes of ab work...that comes down to about 70 minutes of exercise, so it's really a reasonable amount of exercise to do.

So when do I find time to do all of these workouts?? well say perhaps you can manage to wake up 30 minutes earlier in the morning, well those 30 minutes you have extra you can fit in a workout...that means you only have to put in 30 more minutes at night to workout if your goal is to exercise an hour each day.

If you can, feel free to split up your workouts! since I do home video workouts, I can do 1 dvd in the morn and 1 dvd at night.. voila!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment